Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: My SET for my 604-8G's

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member amandarae's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2008
    Posts
    259
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ********************************************

    After weeks of planning, sourcing parts, and a few days of building, I finally completed my 2A3/45 Amp.


    img2998sj1


    img2944cs6


    img2964hc0


    It is now driving my 604 OB's.

    img3046ry0


    Results further exceeded my modest expectations! Very happy with the outcome!!! PD is around 9.3 to 9.5 Watts (so that a 45 tube can be plug and play) but can jack it up to 12 to 13 watts for the 2A3's by replacing a power resistor. Hum is on the low 2mVac range at inputs fully open and 1.8 to 1.7 at inputs shorted and is not a factor for the 604's at 100 dB SN unlike my old 300B amp with hum figures around 8-9.7 mVac.

    Next project is a 300B monos.
    Hope you enjoy the pics!

    regards,

    Abe

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ April 05, 2008 02:55 PM: Message edited by: amandarae ]</font>

  2. #2
    Inactive Member eisbär's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 9th, 2006
    Posts
    39
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    forums forums forums
    Simply gorgeous!!!! They're beautiful!!! Enjoy your new toys!!!
    Congrats
    Ralph

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    My SET for my 604-8G's


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    In the words of a famous Greek scholar...

    "Downright purdy..."

    He definitely was Greek, belonged to a campus fraternity.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Purty work Abe! forums Who needs a kit when you have a drill?

    Have any trouble sourcing the Atoms? I heard they were going NLA (so I stocked up).

  5. #5
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ooops...double-click

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ April 05, 2008 05:15 PM: Message edited by: bfish ]</font>

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member amandarae's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2008
    Posts
    259
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by eisb?r:
    forums forums forums
    Simply gorgeous!!!! They're beautiful!!! Enjoy your new toys!!!
    Congrats
    Ralph
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks!

    regards,

    Abe

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member amandarae's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2008
    Posts
    259
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Old Guy:
    In the words of a famous Greek scholar...

    "Downright purdy..."

    He definitely was Greek, belonged to a campus fraternity.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks Old Guy!

    regards,

    Abe

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member amandarae's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2008
    Posts
    259
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    Originally posted by bfish:
    Purty work Abe! forums Who needs a kit when you have a drill?

    Have any trouble sourcing the Atoms? I heard they were going NLA (so I stocked up).
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hello bfish,

    Yep! The beauty and power of a Unibit forums

    nope, never have a problem sourcing the Atoms!

    regards,

    Abe

  9. #9
    Hostboard Member Fran604g's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 13th, 2006
    Posts
    77
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Beautiful, Abe!

    I've been contiplating an SET 2A3 or 300B for my 604-8G's since discovering Billfort's adventure with his 604-8G's. forums

    Eventually, I will build something, but I don't yet have the ability to design a circuit, just the ability to copy one. That being said, I am becoming a little more capable of understanding what is going on in simpler designs, and SET designed cicuits seem to be the simplest (relatively speaking, that is, nothing is simple to my mind).

    Anyhow, it's not my intention to pirate your thread, and I am not trying to be too bold, but are you willing to share the schematic? forums


    Thank you, Fran

    PS: And by the way, I've seen the OB's and have thought about trying that, too, someday. So much to do, so little time!

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ April 06, 2008 08:04 AM: Message edited by: Fran604g ]</font>

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member amandarae's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2008
    Posts
    259
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Fran604g:
    Beautiful, Abe!

    I've been contiplating an SET 2A3 or 300B for my 604-8G's since discovering Billfort's adventure with his 604-8G's. forums

    Eventually, I will build something, but I don't yet have the ability to design a circuit, just the ability to copy one. That being said, I am becoming a little more capable of understanding what is going on in simpler designs, and SET designed cicuits seem to be the simplest (relatively speaking, that is, nothing is simple to my mind).

    Anyhow, it's not my intention to pirate your thread, and I am not trying to be too bold, but are you willing to share the schematic? forums


    Thank you, Fran

    PS: And by the way, I've seen the OB's and have thought about trying that, too, someday. So much to do, so little time!

    <font color="#FFFFFF"><font size="1">[ April 06, 2008 08:04 AM: Message edited by: Fran604g ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hello fran,

    The amp was not my own design. I took the circuit from my friend's website. here's the link to the amps he made
    http://members.myactv.net/~je2a3/shoptalk.htm
    scroll down to the section "amplifiers" and you will see the simple 2A3/45 schematics.

    I just started building amps lately. Although I understand most on "why" on looking at the circuits, I have a limited experience and understanding on designing one from scratch myself. I will probably get there but for now, I choose to build one that I know will work.

    As for the 604's in OB, the greatest concern I got from people e-mailing me was "how is the bass response affected"?. In all honesty, I did not encounter any deficiencies in bass from the 614 cabs I have to the OB's. In fact, I found an improvement of it in terms of tunefullness and impact and is greatly influence by room positioning. If I move the OB's around 3 feet from the front wall, currently about 5 feet, the bass becomes too much at about 7 feet separation of speakers center to center. In otherwords, I can say without reservation that the bass response can be suited to your taste on OB's also. When you have time to kill for a project, try it and see for yourself. You will not be dissappointed. I am relating this from experience.

    My Linkwitz orions are OB's also and have the most potent bass you will hear from a speaker its size.

    img1358mb4

    While the Altecs cannot compare to the magnitude and speed of the Orion's bass, it still have that dynamic impact when called for even with an OB set up using flea powered amps.

    regards,

    Abe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.